Friends, now read carefully, especially those, who owns the online store based on Magento. A little bird told us (Twitter, to be exact) that a new Age of Magento was nearby. Yes, Magento 2 has all chances to become the next strong foundation for your super-powerful online store. So you should start considering it as a new eCommerce tool right now.
November 2018. Remember this time. It is when official Magento 1.x support will stop. And Magento 2 continues to conquer the market.
What does this mean for you?
- You should keep up to date because it will be the complete renewal of the eCommerce market: the new version is a future of technology, as always.
- The official updates stop. Therefore, the risk of vulnerabilities in the system grows in many times in case you use not updated Magento version. Your website security requires much attention.
- Magento community works on new extensions for Magento 2. Gradually, the number of modern solutions compatible with Magento 1.x website will be not enough for your needs, while the number of Magento 2 extensions will increase on a daily basis.
The main ideas you may come up with are the following:
- If you’re planning to get the eCommerce project developed, you should choose Magento 2 instead of Magento 1.x;
- If you already have the Magento 1.x based eCommerce business, you can start migrating it to Magento 2.
The questions are: “Why?” and “What are the pros and difficulties you can meet?”
Let’s make it clear.
Here are some statistic by BuiltWith for Now
According to BuiltWith, more than a half of live Magento based websites use Magento 2.x (9155 websites). While 8152 websites use Magento 1.x version, where 3736 websites are based on Magento 1.9.
That means most of the eCommerce business owners have already made their choice on the side of Magento 2.x. Is it the right decision? Let’s consider the pros and other details.
The Pros of Migration to Magento 2
Though Magento 2 is not fully-equipped with many useful features that were presented in Magento 1, it’s still much more flexible. There are some features you’ll discover when working with Magento 2:
Increased Flexibility of Magento 2
Magento 2 is super-flexible and extendable when it comes to customization. It includes a lot of features. It’s all because of Magento 2 improved architecture and modular code base that broadens the limits for fast and efficient project development.
Better Management of Magento 2
Now administration of the online store is also more flexible. You can:
- include links to images and videos to your products;
- work with the orders better, because you can see the various types of data related to the orders on the Dashboard, (such as lifetime sales, average orders, etc);
- keep up with analytics (learn about best customers and sellers, view tax rates and quantities);
- upload new products easily;
- enjoy the user-friendly interface.
Magento 2 API
The huge advantage is that Magento 2 comes with a Rest and SOAP-based API, unlike Magento 1.x. Magento API is a functionality that allows the web developers to integrate Magento with the other third-party services. While Magento 1.x came with a SOAP and XML-RPC based API, it was more difficult to perform integrations: it required the separate configuration of access rights for each user’s role. REST and SOAP had a different business logic. Now, in Magento 2, REST and SOAP business logic is equivalent, and Magento 2 REST API allows the browsers based access to API calls.
Updating Magento 2 with Composer
It could be a useful feature when you are going to update Magento 2 version. The steps you should make are the following:
- choose the version you need to upgrade via composer upgrade;
- run the relevant command;
- upgrade the database (don’t forget to backup).
Migration to Magento 2: Pitfalls
As you can see, Magento 2 is quite a powerful and even a cool tool. But also, we can’t miss a fly in the ointment. The technical and hosting requirements are very high for Magento 2. Here are some of the most important of them.
Magento 2 Technical Requirements
- RAM 2GB+
- PHP 5.6+
- MySQL 5.6+
Also, if talk about hosting, SSL security certificate is required for HTTPS. SSH access is required for hosting anyway, otherwise, it will be impossible to install new extensions, themes etc.
You can look through the full list of technical requirements here.
The next thing is the cost. It’s not cheap to move from Magento 1.x to Magento 2 if your online store is complicated enough. Additionally, Magento 2 doesn’t support Magento 1 themes. These facts are not very pleasant, right? But we have good news for you: migration to Magento 2 is an easy-going process with an experienced team of Magento developers.
How to Migrate from Magento 1 to Magento 2 and Why?
We, at WEB4PRO, have already completed a lot of Magento 2 based projects. Most of the project involved the task to migrate from Magento 1.x. Of course, this process could be challenging, but we have a lot of experience and effective solutions to perform it at the highest level.
Also, there are several good ready-made modules for migration from Magento 1 to Magento 2. So, it’s possible for sure!
It’s safe to say, that if you act now, the price for web development services will be lower. There is not very high demand for Migration right now (the online store owner haven’t understood the importance of doing this yet), but it will be much higher next year.
The same goes for creating a website from scratch: if you have any project in mind, let’s do it on Magento 2 base right now! Your online store will be modern and powerful right from the beginning. If you are ready, contact our team, and we’ll do the amazing Magento 2 Migration for you. Request us for help by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org!
P.S. Now you are aware of the things that will happen in a year, and you can be completely ready for these changes.