Responsive Design vs Mobile Version vs App
How many times do you ask yourself the question about the difference between responsive design and mobile version or app? If you thought about it at least once, you are on a right way! Let’s face it.
It’s really important nowadays to have one of these things. The huge amount of website visitors look through the content, surf the Internet, and even shop online. If your website is not convenient to use on mobile devices, you loose 30% of potential customers on a daily basis. But you can always overcome this situation and choose the most effective solution. Now we are here to do it. Let’s go.
Responsive web design is a method of markup development, which allows web page adjustment to the screen resolution. Then it looks good on any device.
Pros of Responsive Design
- A website displays correctly on any device.
- It is one website with only one URL, so it’s convenient for users.
- All beautiful design elements are saved and displayed on any device.
- Meets Google’s requirements of usability.
- The price for development is lower than for mobile version or app.
Cons of Responsive Design
- Large web pages can slow down the website speed.
- It gives no choice for the user. Whether he likes the responsive design or not, he can’t switch the version.
- Every web page needs changes to become responsive.
- It is not so interactive, as the mobile version. And it couldn’t solve the different tasks for users. Desktop visitors need the full features, but mobile users sometimes just want to buy something, look through the contact information, or check the bill.
The responsive design suits small projects, like business card websites, and blogs, where it doesn’t require a lot of interaction with the user. Why? – For example, let’s look at the banking system. On a desktop, you need to read the information about the company, search for the bank in your location, check the statement of account, and order a credit card. On a mobile phone, you’ll more likely need to check and top-up an account or look through the bank contacts. The other website items and pages are unnecessary in this case. But the interaction links, menus, and buttons should be better. Here the mobile version wins.
The mobile version is the other website that is created specifically for a mobile user. It is interactive and user-friendly and developed exactly for the convenient interaction with a website via the hand fingers.
Pros of Mobile Version
- The simplicity of changes. A developer doesn’t need to change each web page. It requires the development of new website version from scratch.
- High level of usability. It is often the simplified version of the desktop website with necessary features for the mobile users. Everything there meets the criteria of convenient use on mobile devices and interaction with a user.
- Page loading speed. As the website is simplified and optimized for the mobile devices, there are less of content and pages inside. Note, the user is not ready to wait more than 3 seconds for page loading. Learn more about page loading speed and conversion.
- An opportunity of choice. The user can always switch to the desktop website if he doesn’t like the mobile version.
- Meets Google requirements for convenient usage on mobile devices.
- If talk about online stores, it provides the user with the opportunity to buy products with minimum actions (1-3 clicks).
- Entering the market is free.
- Open and accessible for everyone who has an internet connection.
- It doesn’t require downloading and installation.
- It is competitive among the other websites and SEO is useful in this case.
Cons of Mobile Version
- It doesn’t play well with too large images.
- A level of personalization is not high because the mobile version is more focused on services than on a user.
- Not all mobile devices support its offline use.
- It doesn’t access all mobile phone functionalities.
- Price for web development is higher than for responsive web design, and usually, equals to the price for mobile app development.
- Additional costs for maintenance and support.
- A part of content could be cut out.
- You’ll have several web addresses.
The mobile version is suitable for the owners of complicated websites, such as online shops, social networks, portals, and mail services. It is useful for those who want to realize the whole spectrum of mobile features and feel their advantages.
A mobile app (or mobile application) is designed only for mobile users, who have the access to App Store.
Pros of Mobile App
- High level of usability and interactivity.
- An access to all device functionalities.
- Ability to use offline.
- Suitable for use on a daily basis.
- It creates the icon on the mobile interface.
- High level of personalization and user orientation.
- Displayed well on any mobile device.
- Supports high-quality graphics.
Cons of Mobile App
- Requires development for several operation systems (Android, iOS, and Windows).
- Can be used only on smartphones and tablets.
- The entering to the market is not free. You’ll have to pay for the license to AppStore, Android Market, Market Place.
- It’s accessible only for those who accepted a license agreement.
- Needs, costs, and resources for aiming the top positions is search. It is competitive on AppStore, Market Place, Android Market, Ovi.
- It requires constant updating and maintenance;
- Most free apps leave up to 30 days, then the interest to them reduces.
- The user should make more actions to get access to the app.
- A price for web development is higher than for responsive design.
A mobile app is a great solution for large and complicated websites and portals. It makes the user experience very convenient. But before he starts, he should download and install the app. That’s why it’s more suitable for the popular and trusted project. In this case, the users will download a mobile app more likely.
As we can see, the difference between these solutions is great. Responsive web design is a cheaper way to look good on mobile devices and will suit simple websites, such as blogs or business cards. The mobile version will be the best solution for more complicated projects. But anyway, we should follow at least one of these principles to be modern and get all opportunities of the Internet business. If you are ready to open all the advantages of responsive design or mobile version, please, let us know, and we’ll do a great responsive website for you.